When it comes to the cold weather, there.s nothing quite so comforting as…well, comfort food. And football. And since there.s .bone chilling cold. weather heading our way this week, we.re going to need some solace in the form of tasty snacks and delicious beer. And maybe sweatpants. We.ll also be grateful that we’re not living in International Falls, MN, where the predicted high temperature for today is 12 below zero. Whoa! So without further ado, a snacktastical recipe for wings, courtesy of Kate Baker, our resident culinary genius.
Hot & Sol-ful Thai Wings
- 24 Chicken Wings and/or Drumsticks
- 2 cups Slumbrew Happy Sol Hefeweizen
- 1/2 cup orange juice (pulp optional)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 1/2 cup Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or scallions (optional)
- Chill at least six bottles of Slumbrew Happy Sol Hefeweizen (22oz bottle, $7.25, available at Craft Beer Cellar)
- Place chicken wings and drumsticks in a sealable container suitable for marinating, uncovered.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups Slumbrew Happy Sol Hefeweizen, 1/2 cup orange juice, and 1/2 cup honey for about 30 seconds. Once mixed, pour evenly over chicken wings, close and seal the container, place in the refrigerator, and let marinate for 12 hours.
- Drink remaining 6 ounces of Happy Sol.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the dry rub by mixing 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp sweet paprika, and 1 tsp chili powder in a small mixing bowl.
- Drain marinade from chicken and place in a large mixing bowl. Add dry rub. Toss for one minute.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until wings are golden brown and edges start to crisp.
- Share a bottle of Happy Sol while wings are cooking.
- If you opt to use cilantro or scallions, chop them now.
- In a small pan, melt 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. Add 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup of Sriracha, and 1/2 cup Tabasco. Mix well with a spatula and lower heat to simmer until wings are finished.
When the wings are finished, place in a large mixing bowl and toss with Hot Sauce. Place wings on a platter and sprinkle with chopped cilantro or scallions (optional).